- Synchronizes VLANs between switches automatically
- Not a requirement
- Does not define broadcast domain
- Consists of VTP Server, Client, and Transparent mode
– Creates VLANs
– Advertises VLANs
– Installs VLANs from other advertisements – similar to client.
– Cannot create VLANs
– Can advertise VLANs
– Installs VLANs from other advertisements
– Creates locally significant VLANs
– Forwards VTP advertisements but does not listen or install VLANs from advertisements
– Sequence number for DB
– Highest Number wins
– VTP works towards having same DB number on all switches in VTP domain.
– Only in server and client mode
– Reduces necessary traffic over VTP peers
- Domain – router(config)#vtp domain mickx009.org
- Default configuration this will pass if trunk between two switches.
- Password – router(config)#vtp password CISCO
- Does not pass between VTP domain members.
- VTP updates will not pass if same password is not entered on both sides.
- Changing Mode – router(config)#vtp mode <server,client,transparent,off>
- Primary Server – only device allowed to add to advertisements
- Extended VLANs
- Per link
- Enabling VTPv3
- router(config)#vtp domain mickx009.org – before enabling v3
- router#vtp primary <vlan,mst> – On device you want as primary – only device allowed to update database.